How to Access HomeKit Products Away from Home
One of the most common questions about HomeKit is in regards to how to control HomeKit devices when you are away from home. This requires either a third or fourth generation Apple TV.
- Once your Apple TV is installed, enable iCloud on your iOS device. You want to make sure you are signed into the same iCloud account on both your iOS device and your Apple TV.
- You want to make sure that “iCloud Keychain” is turned on.
- Go to the “Settings” menu and scroll down to “HomeKit.” Once you are in this menu, enable “Use iCloud,” then go into your home and select “Allow Remote Access.”
- Once all of those settings are set on your iOS device, you’re going to want to move to your Apple TV and click on “Settings,” which is the grey gear icon.
- Once in settings, click on “Accounts” under general, followed by clicking on “iCloud.” After this you are going to want to click on “Sign in.” When you are signing in you are going to want to enter the same email address that you put in the iCloud settings on your iOS device.
Now you will be able to control devices when you are away from home. An example of this would be utilizing a Siri command such as, “turn on the lamp,” which will turn on the HomeKit device even if you are away from home.
Now that you know how to set up remote access for your HomeKit devices, what are some things you want to control while away from home? Comment below!